About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, Web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. The team is continuously innovating in the app development space by improving on performance, fidelity, and developer experience—and we’re in need of an engineering manager who’s interested in advancing the cutting edge of app development.
The Flutter Mobile Platforms Teams are responsible for making Flutter the best it can be on Android and iOS. Nearly half a million apps have been released that use Flutter, so these teams have a direct role in improving the lives of mobile developers across the world. These teams work across the Flutter tech stack, from tooling for building and running, to the platform engine embeddings, to platform plugins, to the widget framework, to performance work.
The Flutter Ecosystem Team is responsible for making it easy for developers to build and use Flutter plugins (the means by which Flutter apps integrate native functionality from the platform into their Flutter apps). This team not only owns the system that underpins Flutter plugins, but they also help maintain and improve core Flutter plugins (such as WebView and Camera) so as to ensure our plugin system is meeting the needs of developers.
About the position
We are looking for a senior engineering manager who is passionate about creating software for other developers and has a strong track record of successfully delivering new features and products. A commitment to teamwork, initiative, and strong communication skills are a must.
As a manager of the Mobile Platforms Teams and the Ecosystem Team, you will:
- Build an inclusive culture which values diverse ideas, collaboration, teamwork, and fun
- Manage and coach a team of ~12-15 engineers and help them grow in their careers
- Influence technical strategy to build a platform developers love
- Work closely with the product team to deliver on the team’s technical vision
- Drive team discussions on system architecture
- Drive quarterly and annual milestone planning
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office locations or fully remote in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
- Lead a team of dedicated and talented software engineers to grow and improve Flutter
- Partner with engineers to guide them along the path of their career development
- Collaborate with product management, developer relations, user experience research, and other engineering teams to ensure we’re meeting Flutter’s goals
Traits that will help you in this role
- Enjoys working in a team environment and building relationships with people
- Passionate about building inclusive teams that allow every team member to bring their whole identity to work
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Programming experience in one of the following: Java, Kotlin, C++, ObjC, Swift
- Experience building developer-facing products or frameworks
- Experience working with multiple partners or stakeholders
- Experience identifying opportunities for joint impact between teams
- Experience with Android or iOS development
Please apply by filling out the following form.