About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, Web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. On Windows, we’re allowing Flutter developers to target an additional 1B users, and we’re offering a better alternative to desktop developers who use Electron, Windows Forms, WPF, or (shudder) UWP!
The Flutter Desktop Team is responsible for the desktop-specific (Windows, macOS, Linux) embeddings of the Flutter engine, which includes enabling platform plugins, nesting platform views inside Flutter apps, and wiring-up accessibility hooks on those platforms—and anything else that helps Flutter feel “native” when run in those environments.
About the position
In the “Windows Engineer” role you’ll be part of the team that makes Flutter apps the absolute best they can be when running on Windows, including:
- Designing and building multi-window support.
- Building support for Windows system menu integration.
- Adding support for shell / window drag and drop.
- Adding support for nesting Windows UI views inside Flutter apps.
- Delivering outstanding performance on Windows.
- Nurturing a thriving community of contributions from open-source developers by reviewing GitHub issues and pull requests (PRs).
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office location, or fully remote in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
- Design, implement, and maintain a best-of-breed Flutter Windows engine embedding.
- Simplify and improve the tooling required to build Flutter Windows apps.
- Respond rapidly to Windows platform updates.
- Minimize the memory and file-size footprint required by Flutter Windows apps.
- Streamline Flutter’s mechanism for embedding native Windows UI views or communicating with native Windows libraries.
Traits that will help you in this role
- Enjoys working in a team environment.
- Self-motivated and possesses a good work ethic.
- Loves simple and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to see how things might fail in unexpected ways.
- Can efficiently navigate ambiguity by evaluating potential solutions and weighing pros and cons.
- Experience with C++ software development.
- Windows experience, in particular user-level Win32 APIs, COM, app architecture.
- Proficiency with cmake.
- Experience with Visual Studio.
Please apply by filling out the following form.