About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. The team is continuously innovating in the app development space by improving on performance, fidelity, and developer experience—and we’re in need of engineers who are interested in advancing the cutting edge of app development.
Flutter’s Framework Team develops most of Flutter’s public API: all of the user interface components as well as support for layouts, animations, accessibility, internationalization, touch, mouse, and keyboard input, and much more. The team is responsible for everything from sustaining and performance, to creating new features, and new components.
About the position
We’re seeking software engineers to join the Framework Team. In the “Framework Engineer” role, you’ll be part of the team that keeps Flutter vital and current, including:
- Maintaining and growing the Framework APIs, docs, and tools.
- Supporting accessibility on all platforms
- Delivering outstanding performance.
- Delighting developers with a simple but powerful developer experience.
- Nurturing a thriving community of contributions from open-source developers by reviewing GitHub issues and pull requests (PRs).
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office location, or fully remote in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
- Sustain and improve Flutter’s APIs, docs, and implementation.
- Work with Google’s Material Design team on Flutter updates that match the latest specs and guidelines.
- Work with Flutter’s iOS team on updates the match the latest iOS and MacOS changes.
- Work with Flutter’s open source community by reviewing issues and pull requests and by mentoring developers.
Traits that will help you in this role
- Enjoys working in a team environment.
- Loves simple and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Possesses a good sense of API design.
- Loves making order out of chaos.
- Ability to see how things might fail in unexpected ways.
- Can efficiently navigate ambiguity by evaluating potential solutions and weighing pros and cons.
- Software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages
- Experience with Flutter or other popular UI toolkits
Please apply by filling out the following form.